Friday, October 30, 2009

balance


A few weeks ago I would have bludgeoned the following thoughts of out my mind: I like Vietnam. I am having a good time. I am learning a lot. About myself, about the world.


A few weeks ago my homesickness was clouding my whole outlook on everything. I had a very negative attitude, as a sort of "defense" against what was frustrating and challenging me. Yet that was only making it worse (silly brain). Luckily I've come to face the fact that this experience is a good one (which grows on me by the day) and although there are many challenges, there are so many more gifts. At this point I miss silly things: pancakes, my bed, clean bathroom facilites... which I will have again soon enough.

Vietnamese awesomeness:
banh xeo (vietnamese savory pancake)

the fact that my mattress has "good time" written all over it

LITTLE MUNCHKIN CHILDREN that may find their way into my suitcase

I've come to find that although life here seems on the surface utterly chaotic, it's actually rhythmic, even harmonious: all the parts work together, like one big organism. Motorbikes practically choke you as you attempt to cross the street, yet as you make your way one by one they swerve out of your way, like water going around a rock. Trash is everywhere, yet is (usually) picked up by trusty street workers, who even sort the recyclables.... more on this later

No comments:

Post a Comment